CFP, CLU, CHFC
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
A veteran of the financial services industry since 1974, John provides strategic leadership to Nicola Wealth Management, exercising his passion for providing innovative solutions to clients’ complex problems.
His areas of expertise include investment management, estate and financial planning, as well as business planning with a focus on best practices for wealth building, exit strategies, and shareholder agreements.
In 2011, John was selected as the winner of the Earnst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year (Financial and Professional Services in the Pacific Region) and in 2015, John was named the Winner of Business In Vancouver’s BC CEO of the Year Award – Small-Medium Private Company.
He is a Founding Member of CALU (Conference for Life Underwriters) and has continued to contribute to the organization for example, by serving as the Chair for the 2003 annual meeting.
John also acts as Chair of the Canuck Place Hospice Society Board of Directors. Using his business acumen to help develop and grow this and several other not-for-profit organizations over a number of years. These include The Pivot Law Society, a volunteer legal society defending the underrepresented issues facing Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, and Bulembu International, a foundation dedicated to helping an abandoned African mining village become self-sufficient.
The list of groups John has spoken to over the last several years includes:
- Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting
- The Financial Advisors association of Canada (Advocis)
- Canadian Association of Financial Planners (CAFP)
- Pacific Business Law Institute
- Chartered Life Underwriters (CLU)
- Association for Advanced Life Underwriting (AALU)
- Million Dollar Round Table and Top of the Table
- Pacific Dental Conference
- Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC
- Certified General Accountants Association
Married for 40 years, John and Claire have 3 children – Christopher, Jason and Jared, all of whom are married, providing three grandchildren: Chloe, Lilly, and Wyatt. Family is a big focus for both of them.